MARIETTA, GA, October 11, 2018 - Marietta's c. 1845 Martin Slaughter House was recently at risk of being demolished. After a rewarding discussion with the developer, Traton Homes, plans were revised so that the house can remain as part of the new residential community. Furthermore, Traton now plans to rehabilitate the house as a private residence. Cobb Landmarks will provide recommendations for preserving historically significant aspects of the house.
Listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the Slaughter House is one of only a few remaining homes in Marietta dating back to the 1840s. "The importance of saving and preserving this home cannot be understated," said Cobb Landmarks Executive Director, Trevor Beemon. "Cobb Landmarks looks forward to working with Traton Homes on this project."
ABOUT COBB LANDMARKS: For over forty years, Cobb Landmarks has served as a catalyst for community preservation action, working with policy makers, developers, and others, to preserve local history. When historic buildings are torn down or allowed to deteriorate, a part of the past disappears forever. When that happens, people lose opportunities to live and work in the kinds of interesting surroundings that older buildings can provide. By protecting and enhancing the buildings, communities, and landscapes that tell America's story, preservation allows individuals to have physical contact with the places where the region's identity was established and community's character was shaped. One such building is Marietta's c. 1845 Dr. Martin Slaughter House.
ABOUT TRATON HOMES: Family-owned Traton Homes is headquartered in Marietta, Georgia. Founded in 1971 by brothers Bill and Milburn Poston, Traton Homes is one of metro Atlanta's oldest home building companies. Traton is also one of the most innovative, combining traditional building practices with a passion for the latest systems and styles. From full-featured townhomes to single-family estate homes, Traton builds outstanding quality and value into every home.
Cobb Landmarks & Historical Society