Known locally as Campbell Hill or Sugar Hill, this beautiful home was originally built for John Campbell in 1852. The house itself was constructed of stone and the exterior walls are reportedly two feet thick. The masonry structure was gutted during the Battle of Kennesaw Mountain in 1864, but was quickly restored and enlarged in the years following the Civil War. The house and property were sold in 1938 and additions were built on both sides of the main house. In 1952 the house was sold to Saint Joseph Catholic Church. Through the years the house has served as a convent, Parish meeting space, and, most recently, a rectory.
This week Cobb Landmarks was distressed to learn that there are currently plans in place to demolish the house and construct a new rectory. We have contacted the office of the Archbishop requesting a meeting. We have not yet received a reply. We will keep the community informed as the situation unfolds.
We are committed to empowering our community with an understanding of the events, people, and places that formed our past, so that we may all strive for a brighter future. Won't you join us?